The other day my husband was reading me an article about how many nutrients are in the skins of root vegetables. I often peel my root veggies but I hate the thought of missing out on some nutrients, lightbulb moment…what about if I roast the skins and eat them as a garnish? People certainly do that with potato skins and those are yummy. And so this idea was born…though when I google it now I see others have had the same brilliant idea…but it is new for me, and I am loving it! Makes me feel sad for all of the veggie peels I have tossed into the compost pile…or worse yet, in the garbage over the years! I have tried parsnips so far, but am pretty sure this will work well with carrots and sweet potato skins, both of which I produce regularly. Next time you are making a dish that calls for peeled carrots, sweet potatoes, potatoes or parsnips try this out!
Crispy Veggie Curls
- Wash your veggies thoroughly.
- Peel the veggies with a hand held peeler…I love this one. Try varying the size length and width of the peel slices to find the size you like.
- Use the peeled veggie in another recipe. I love to dovetail my cooking so I would roast the parsnips as coins or sticks in the oven drizzled with olive oil at 425 at the same time and then eat those with a meal and or freeze them in single servings for my freezer stash. That is just what I did for this meal above….ate them with this bowl and froze 2 servings in single serving freezer safe mason jars for a future salad or plate.
- Place your veggie peels on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Drizzle generously with olive oil or your favorite cooking fat…I bet duck fat or brown butter ghee would be amazing.
- Season if you like…or not. I like a sprinkle of smoked sea salt on just about everything!
- Roast at 425 til the edges start to brown. This took 5-10 minutes in my oven, but could vary quite a bit from oven to oven, so check on them every few minutes as once it starts it happens quickly.
- Use them as a garnish on top of a meal or salad, or just eat them as a snack. So good!
4 thoughts on “Crispy Veggie Peel Curls”
Thank you so much for your posts and taking the time sharing your recipes and freezer plans. The freezer stash recommendations have been so helpful! Many thanks!
So glad to hear it!! Let me know how it works for you or if you discover new ideas I would love to hear them.