This is a recipe from my childhood…adapted for Paleo/AIP. My mom used to make this for special occasions…but I like it any time!
2 packages of bone in chicken thighs
1-2 packages of mushrooms
shallots or onions sliced
salt, pepper* and onion powder (we keep a mixture of these in a shaker bottle)
- Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper* and onion powder
- Brown the chicken in olive oil in a pan stovetop
- Transfer to a casserole dish or hotel pan that has a cover
- Next, sauté the mushrooms and onions or shallots
- Pour over the chicken
- Sprinkle with light coating of dried tarragon
- Bake covered at 350 for at least 1.5 hours…better if you let it go longer, as the meat gets super tender and nearly falls off the bone. I often let it cook for several hours!
Lazy Version….which is still super delish!
- skip the step of browning the chicken, onions and mushrooms.
- Just layer chicken, mushrooms and onions in a casserole
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and onion powder
- Sprinkle with dried tarragon
- Bake covered at 350 for at least 1.5 hours…I often let it go 2 or even 3 hours! It gets even better the longer it goes.
- You can make a day ahead and then re-heat at 350 for about 20-30 minutes to serve. Great make ahead meal..prep it ahead and re-heat before serving!!!
There will be extra juice in the pan. I strain that into my bone broth jar in the fridge or pour into a mason jar and use to drizzle on cauli mash. It has a nice tarragon flavor. And of course the leftover bones go right in my bone bag for future bone broth! Waste not!
*black pepper is an AIP gray area food. Omit for strict AIP version.
9 thoughts on “Chicken Tarragon”
If i may ask, i am very interested in the baking dish you used. Where did you purchase that?
Thank you so kindly in advance. Have a Great Day…Smiles, Monica 🙂
Hi there….it is a hotel pan….see my blog post on hotel pans. I buy mine at a local restaurant supply store, but there is a link to an online source for them…though I have never purchased from them.
Thank you so much…. and I absolutely love everything on your site… Thank you for sharing… Being a single mom and trying to get on board with Paleo, It is hard sometimes to get started. i enjoy being able to reference back and get great ideas. Again, thank you for taking the time and sharing. Smiles, Monica 🙂
Are you on instagram? I post every one of my meals there….so much great inspiration and TONS of great accounts to follow there.
I am soooo on my way there…. Thanks. 🙂