Cauliflower Leek Soup
- The whites of 2 leeks cleaned thoroughly and coarsely sliced
- 1 regular sized cauliflower, trimmed into flowerettes
- 1 quart chicken bone broth (or enough to just cover the veggies)
- Put the cauliflower flowerettes and the sliced leeks into a large saucepan
- Add the bone broth. It should mostly cover the veggies.
- Simmer covered til cauliflower is soft…probably about 20 minutes or so.
- Use an immersion blender or regular blender to puree. If it comes out too thick then add in extra broth til it is a smooth and creamy texture.
- After ladeling into bowls sprinkle with smoked sea salt and some scallions.
- There are lots of variations possible:
- add in some ginger and carrots while simmering
- peel(optional) and add cubed zucchini to replace some or all of the cauliflower
- swap some of the cauliflower for broccoli
I always make this with homemade chicken bone broth. Not sure how it would turn out with ready made broth.
Too thick? : You can thin it with a little more broth if you need to adjust the texture.
Too thin? : You can add a little cauli mash if you have that on hand and blend again.
This can be used as a cream sauce too!