Cauliflower Leek Soup
- The whites of 2 large leeks cleaned thoroughly and coarsely sliced
- 1 regular sized cauliflower, trimmed into flowerettes (or 2 bags of frozen flowerettes)
- 3 cups chicken bone broth or water (this will partly cover the veggies)
- Put the cauliflower flowerettes and the sliced leeks into a large saucepan or Instant Pot.
- Add the liquid. It should partly cover the veggies.
- Simmer covered til cauliflower is soft…probably about 20 minutes or so OR set to SOUP on Instant Pot.
- Reserve about half of the liquid in a separate container before starting to blend.
- Use an immersion blender or regular blender to start the puree. Add in more of the liquid until it is a smooth and creamy texture. If you are using water this is where you will want to drizzle in some olive oil or other fat to help the emulsification process so that it will turn out creamy.
- After ladeling into bowls sprinkle with smoked sea salt and some scallions.
- There are lots of variations possible:
- add in some ginger and carrots
- peel (optional) cubed zucchini to replace some or all of the cauliflower
- swap some of the cauliflower for broccoli
- Add in a turnip and 2 shallots
I used to always make this with homemade chicken bone broth, but water works well too. The flavor will be more complex with broth, but if you add shallots or ginger it is still really great. If you use water then drizzle in olive oil as you blend to help the emulsification process. I probably add in a few tablespoons to mine.
Too thick? : You can thin it with a little more broth if you need to adjust the texture.
Too thin? : You can add a little cauli mash if you have that on hand and blend again.
This can be used as a cream sauce too!