My mom makes this yummy pie for herself and even when she is having non-paleo guests….equally enjoyed by all! People tell her it tastes like shortbread. I like that it has simple ingredients and no sweeteners…which fits in my low carb paleo lifestyle as a very occasional treat. She wanted me to tell you that it is better after it stays in the fridge a few days….if it lasts that long!!
Mom’s Blueberry Almond Pie
makes 3 pies
(yes she makes 3…you can always adapt the recipe to make just 1, but she warns that you will wish you made more!)
Frozen wild blueberries (wild Maine blueberries…she gets them from Costco)
- Mix the crust ingredients thoroughly.
- Press a third into each of the 3 glass pie plates (she recommends glass like these by Pyrex).
- Top each pie crust with frozen blueberries…don’t overfill.
- Bake at 350 til crust is golden…about 45 minutes to 1 hour for 3 pies.
- Cool thoroughly.
- Once cool you can slip each pie into a gallon size ziplock to store in the fridge.
- They get better after a day or 2. Make at least a day ahead and chill in the fridge so the crust will firm up.
These are a simple but tasty treat…tastes like blueberry shortbread! If you can eat coconut cream I bet a dollop of whipped coconut cream would be amazing!