I have to give credit where credit is due….my husband came up with the idea to pack a kitchen essentials pouch years ago. For years now we have been renting apartments or houses for our vacations and have discovered that some kitchens are better equipped than others. One kitchen would be missing a good spatula, while another had no paring knife. Each trip would reveal a new deficiency and so over the years we have added various items to this little kit which gets packed away in our duffle between excursions. Here is what is in there currently:
1. A nylon spatula
2. A silicone steamer basket: This one was added during our San Francisco trip a few years back. My boys often eat steamed broccoli and very few travel kitchens have a steamer insert. We picked this one up at Sur La Table in the Ferry Building.
3. Mini Tongs: These just got added recently….we use tongs all the time at home so having a pair along is handy!
4. Measuring spoons: Most travel kitchens have them, but sometimes one is missing. I prefer stainless, but my hubby added these a while back.
5. Paring knife: Knives are super variable in travel kitchens. The kitchen we just had in Seattle had tons of good knives, while we have had kitchens where there was not even a single good knife. We can only take this along if we are checking a bag.
6. Scissors: Also a recent addition.
8. Mini whisk…handy for dressings
9. Coffee scoop…for my hubby
10. Digital thermometer: I can’t live without one of these!
12. Spices we use frequently: What we bring can vary by season and location. Chicken Tarragon is a great make ahead meal for travel…you can cook it at night and then re-heat after a day of skiing or hiking…winning!
13. Good salt! I usually bring several kinds…maldon, maldon smoked and redmond real salt.
14. Mini grater: The latest addition. I wanted to grate ginger during our recent trip and alas, no grater, so my husband just added this mini grater. We will see how it goes on our next vacation!